This is an early Alfred Bock studio stamp, dated around 1857 when he first set up the City Photographic Establishment at 140 Elizabeth St. Hobart Town, complete with glass house studio.
The stamp shows the early bare design of the photographer’s initials “A.B.” encircled by a belt with buckle, the motto in Latin “Ad Altiora” (towards the heights) withing the belt’s circumference, and a kangaroo perched on top. The studio’s address lies outside the design.
Left: Thomas Nevin stamp (Harrisson Collection)
Right: Alfred Bock stamp (McCullagh Collection)
The later versions were much embellished by Alfred Bock’s successor, commercial photographer and civil servant Thomas J. Nevin (1842-1923) when he continued with the commercial name of Bock’s studio, The City Photographic Establishment, 140 Elizabeth Street, Hobart Town. Nevin acquired the stock, studio and glass house in 1865 on Bock’s departure to Victoria, and added the studio’s address within the belt, his name “T. Nevin, late A.Bock” within the whole, and moved the Latin motto above the kangaroo.