William H. Carl Burrows established a studio at 76 Murray Street, Hobart in 1877. He had already established a studio in Launceston in 1876, and moved there in 1878, selling his Hobart studio portrait negatives to John Bishop Osborne.
This advertisement appeared in both The Tasmanian 0n March 3rd and in The Launceston Examiner, 11th May 1878. “… his brother… ” refers to Matthew P. Dowling, a travelling photographer with studios in Hobart between 1864 and 1867.
Jack Cato (1955:165) noted that William Paul Dowling may have held a Penal Authorities contract to take photographs of convicts in Launceston. William Paul was himself convicted in Ireland in 1848 for treason, and sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered, but his sentence was commuted to transportation to Van Diemen’s Land where he was pardoned in 1850.
Jack Cato also notes that W.H. Carl Burrows was the first in Tasmania to do photoceramics –
“burning his landscapes on to china plates, cups and saucers. His clever daughters, named alphabetically from Eunice down to Octavius the son, painted medallions of wildflowers, mountain berries, and waratah that sold like hot cakes to the tourists.” (1955:168).
State Library of Tasmania TALIS catalogue
Tasmanian Index (Newspapers & Journals)
Title: Burrows & Co purchase all the negatives of the late Mr. W. P. Dowling In: Tasmanian 16/03/1878 Page(s): 1, column 5
Notes: Transcribed from Stilwell Index (Allport Library and Museum of Fine Arts) William H. Carl Burrows purchased “all the negatives of the late Mr. W. P. Dowling, Brisbane Street, likewise those of his brother … .
Subjects: Burrows, W. H. Carl (William H. Carl) fl. 1877-1888
Burrows & Co. Photography–Tasmania–History–19th century.